- This event has passed.
AIIP Lecture & Masterclass – Start-up to Scale-up: Growth through innovation
January 24 @ 8:15 am - 11:00 am
Speaker(s): Joe Haslam
Affiliation: IE Business School, Madrid
Organised by: InterTrade Ireland
Joe Haslam, Executive Director of Owners Scaleup Program at IE University will deliver a lecture on growing through innovation followed by an intensive masterclass.
Lecture (8.15am – 9.15am; all welcome – register online):
Venue: Aras Moyola – MY127, NUI Galway
In the lecture, Joe will address indigenous entrepreneurship from a different perspective to the Silicon Valley Model.
He will discuss:
• Growth doesn’t make you a scaleup
• Small, and want to grow? Big, and want to hold on? Get the basics right
• Go in at the right time (it’s later than you think)
• Embrace the era of ‘big’
• Ignoring the startup hype
• The advantages of scale
• Culture at scale
• It’s not all about unicorns
Masterclass (9.30 – 11am; limited to 25 places – register online):
Venue: Cairnes Building – CA107 (Ground Floor)
This will feature an intense workshop where Joe will take individuals through their specific business-related challenges and give advice, suggestions and an opinion on how best to scale their business. He will explore some pitfalls around trying to grow a business and give some tips and hints as to how they are best avoided. For example, one of the biggest errors a startup can make is premature scaling, which means adding sales and marketing before product/market fit is fully achieved. The result is an over-promise and under-deliver scenario that’s hard to recover from.
These are some of the questions he will focus on in the lecture and masterclass:
1. The concept of chasing VC and being totally focused on growth, is most common in Silicon Valley, but much of the rest of the world takes a different approach – what’s the best one for you?
2. Whereas startups excel in generating demand, operations will help ensure you’ve got the supply to match it.
3. Often great people won’t join a company until some of the chaos is tamed and structure is in place. How do you recruit and retain them?
4. Paths to growth outside the Silicon Valley norm, the pros and cons of getting big, and more.
About the speaker:
Professor Joe Haslam is the Executive Director of the Owners Scaleup Program at IE Business School in Madrid. This program is specially designed for fast growing companies that want to scaleup. IE was ranked by the Financial Times as the 3rd best Business School in Europe in their 2017 rankings. In 1998, Prof Haslam was on the founding Team of Marrakech, a Dublin based e-procurement company that raised over $75m in Venture Capital and scaled to over 250 people. He is now the co-founder and Chairman of Hot Hotels, the first company from Spain to be accelerated by the Techstars program in the USA (Boston, Summer 2015). Born in Limerick, Joe is a graduate of University College Cork where he has both a B. Comm and an M.Sc. in Accounting, Finance & Information Systems. He also has an MBA from IE Business School. Joe has lived in Madrid for the past 15 years.
InterTradeIreland All-Island Innovation Programme
The All-Island Innovation Programme is funded by InterTradeIreland which aims to promote and encourage innovation across the island of Ireland. A series of free innovation lectures, seminars and masterclasses are held throughout the year to share international best practice in areas of innovation. The Programme is delivered in partnership with InterTradeIreland, Queen’s University Belfast, NUI Galway, Dublin City University and University College Cork.